Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thing 20

Include in your post the name of at least one podcast to which you subscribed. Describe your experience using the various search tools. Which do you prefer and why?

I already have experience subscribing to podcasts. One of my favorites was also the saddest. NPR: My Cancer is the story of Leroy Sievers. He was a prominent journalist for NPR, CBS, and CNN. For the past few years he has battled cancer. He shared his journey via his blog and podcast. Sadly, Leroy died this year. Now his blog is taken over by his widow. The blog has turned into a blog about widowhood and grief- one that I relate to immensely. She has not continued the podcasts though.

All of the podcasts that I have experience have been personal in nature. I have never used a podcast as part of instruction and was interested to see what was out there.

I found Tech Tip Tuesday on the Education Podcast Network. Very clever. Like the music, sense of humor, and sound effects. (The narrator sounds like Kermit the frog actually!). There are so many different topics to chose from. A very slick production with use of effects that help with understanding and interest. The podcast is very specific though to the University. I especially liked the one on Spam. The podcasts were categorized by subject area but I found like I was blindly picking a podcast from a list rather than finding a podcast that was suited for my needs.

I am an avid iTunes user...but have never touched their podcasts! I knew there was so much information out there. I friend of mine who teaches High School level French uses iTunes to find podcasts all of the time for her students but I never "went there." The search tools of iTunes were much superior to the Education Podcast Network but the problem is that not all of the podcasts are middle school appropriate.

No comments: