Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thing 15

Is RSS becoming easier to understand? Do you recognize new benefits of using this tool? Do you remember to check your feeds regularly? Has it become a habit (or obsession!) yet?

I understand RSS just fine, but have very little time to use it. It is kinda like getting a subscription to a newspaper.... A while ago I had a subscription to the newspaper. I love reading and I love the news. But when I got busy the papers would just pile up, unread. After a while I cancelled my subscription because it was just a waste of paper and money. In addition, I always felt guilty about not reading them. They sat there looking at me... accusing me of neglecting them...of neglecting the world! The RSS does not cost money, nor does it waste paper. But it has added to a list a things that I can't get to. Guilt becomes associated. I need to go read the RSS because I have to, not because I want to.

I definitely see the benefits of using this tool. It can save time by quickly scanning through all of the feeds to find something of interest. The problem is that it hasn't become a habit to check them regularly so when I do there is so much piled up that it is overwhelming. Reading the Bloglines isn't a necessity to my daily life like checking my email or voicemail. It is a luxury that I don't have much time for right now so it gets neglected (like finishing my 23 things in time!).

No comments: