Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thing 23

Take a few moments to reflect on your journey. You've covered a lot of material over the past ten weeks. What does it all mean? How has your thinking changed between Thing 1 and Thing 23? Has this program changed how you view the Internet or how view teaching in the digital world? What plans have you made for using these tools in and out of the classroom? How will you continue to learn about Web 2.0 tools? What are your big "take aways" from this experience?

Woohoo! Finally here! The strongest emotion I am feeling right now is regret...I wish I had actually taken the intended 10 weeks to finish the course rather than doing the large majority of it in the past two weeks. But of course, life takes over and there are just some things that you can't control.

This journey actually started this past summer during the four day technology workshop at RESA. My inspiration and exploration of Web 2.0 actually started there. I consider the workshop as the actual beginning of my journey rather than Thing 1 and Thing 2. What RESA has done for me with these two programs is radically change the way I present information. The use of wikis, podcasts, online polls and surveys have revolutionized my classroom "bag of tricks."

I have jumped right in and started using these tools with my students and colleagues. My wiki is used on a daily basis. I have already used my blog and zamzar for an assignment with students.

My plan for the future is to continue learning. I received my Master's Degree in Instructional Technology 4 years ago and I already feel like the technology I used in my course work is outdated. You cannot simply rest on what you know. There is always something newer and better out there to discover and incorporate into the classroom.

My big "take away" from this course has to be Zamzar. I love it. I find so many amazing things on YouTube and feel so hampered by not being able to use it in the classroom. This has made possibilities just open up! I don't like how long it takes to convert a video but once it is done and embedded into a blog you can keep it and reuse it again and again. I intend to start converting videos from YouTube- if I can do a few a week I can start building up my resources for the future.

Another big "take away" was Slideshare. I really liked this site but wasn't able to fully explore because of my rush to finish the last few things. I intend to use this site as a resource I always check when starting new units and recommending to my colleagues as a resource. Now that the course is "over" I want to go back and explore the other online productivity tools and image generators that I didn't chose to do the first time around. I also will continue to look for more podcasts that can be used for my classroom.

This class came at a perfect time in my career. Beginning to teach a new course in Media Literacy these Web 2.0 tools are now the foundation of my pedagogy for years to come.

Thank you RESA!

4 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

WOW! Hsve you ever been working hard! But it sounds as though you're as happy with your learning as you are to be done, and that's the most important thing. Your willingness to step right in a try something new is a great example. All this "dabbling" will help you decide which of these tools is most approptiate for which tasks. And you'll get better at using all of them.

The 23 Things site will remain available for you to review when you need it. Thanks for being a part of this, and congratulations on your successful completion.

Anonymous said...

sierra p. 7th hour
i thik that means that there are alot of words to explain that one thing ar more than one thing.

Anonymous said...

cassandra B. 6th hour

well i think that a picture is worth a thousand words. the reason why is because you can look at the picture and know what the picture means without someone telling you. and the other saying the picture speaks for itself.so pictures do have a thousand words when you know what it is meaning, you know what it is saying so yes, pictures have a thousands words, or a million when it jumps to you or peolpe mitght understand when they see a picture and know the message that is all it means when people say pictures have a thousand words you know what the picture means.

Anonymous said...

Talia M.7th hour i really dont know what media is but i think that its gotta do with computar and lots of work and its about knowing things about how websites and advertisment and stuff like that it