Monday, December 1, 2008

Thing 9

What do you like or dislike about YouTube? Did you find videos that would be useful for teaching and learning? Is YouTube banned in your building?

I love YouTube. Talking, not as a teacher, but a computer user. I love the freedom of expression and creativity that YouTube offers. The twisted searches you can take- how one video links to another, which links to another, etc.... I love the absolutely beautiful amateur videos I have seen there. I have laughed and cried and become angry. Very few sites on the Internet have evoked such emotional responses from me.

Of course there are a lot of amazing videos on YouTube that are useful for teaching and learning. I teach Media Literacy so YouTube is a great resource for commercials. Our grade level did an interdisciplinary election unit and YouTube was a great resource for debate clips, interviews, and political ads.

Unfortunately, YouTube is banned with a capital "B" in our district. I have tried several ways to get around it for my classroom but no one will bend on this point. I have been using TeacherTube instead. TeacherTube though doesn't have the breadth of resources that YouTube offers. I understand the reasons why YouTube was banned, but think that it should be available for teachers to use for educational purposes. I cannot figure out how to download, copy, or get a YouTube video on another source so that I can play it at school... any suggestions?

5 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

Thing 10 will help you with downloading You Tube videos.

Anonymous said...

you can use note pad to get pass the surf control if u want to

Anonymous said...

use a proxy lol like go to google and type in new proxies schools haven't blocked =) good luck!

Anonymous said...

lol go to
lolhidden.info
your 7th hour favorite student =)

Mary Alice said...

I prefer downloading since I can get around the web blocker.