Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thing 13

Share your thoughts about tagging. Is tagging a useful way to organize your digital resources and why? What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages? What is important to think about before assigning tags to bookmarks or other Internet content?

I did not have a good experience with delicious. I do not like using a tool that needs to install itself on my computer. This inevitably just ads up being another wasted icon that adds to the clutter on my toolbar. I do see the benefits to using it though, but at the same time, I primarily use one computer. When doing most of my planning I use one computer (which I occasionally back up my list of favorites). If I want a website on the fly I can usually do a quick search and find it.

The advantages to using this resource of course is instant access to all of your favorites no matter where you are at. The disadvantages is having to add yet another icon onto your computer. I prefer using google bookmarks anyways.

I think it is important to add as many tags as possible to your content before saving. If you think narrowly and assign few tags you might have a hard time in the future finding your content (as well as for others doing searches with tags). Try to think about all of the different contexts a website could be used before tagging it.

2 comments:

RESA 23Things said...

Delicious can be used without adding the buttons, but is obviously not as easy as with the buttons. You may want to come back a revisit your use of Delicious later.

Anonymous said...

i like tagging things and i like this section of this blog because it really helped me out wit tagging things and pics